Getting a Singapore Driver's Licence
Owning and/or operating your own vehicle in Singapore is a very expensive proposition. It is therefore fortunate that public transport is so good in this city state and many people prefer to make do without their own vehicle. However, if you are being supplied with a company vehicle or just want a local form of identification, there are many circumstances in which having a Singapore driver's licence can come in handy.
For most expats, this will involve converting their home license to a local one, which is a relatively painless process of passing the Basic Theory Test to bring you up to speed on Singapore's highway code and regulations. The test can be taken at any of the following three locations...
Singapore Driving Test Centre 3, Ang Mio Kio, St 62
Bukit Batok Driving Centre 815, Bukit Batok West Ave 5
Comfort Driving Centre 215, Ubi Ave 4
The conversion can be done in person at the Traffic Police Department with the following documents...
- Your Passport
- Your pass certificate for the Singapore Basic Driving Theory test
- Your valid home licence
- Certification from the licensing authority of the date of the test
- If your home licence is not in English, an official translation is required
- Malaysian licence holders should produce an extract of the driving licence from the JPJ Malaysia, including information of your driving record and licence information
- For Singaporeans that have an overseas licence but wish to convert it to a Singapore licence (they must if they wish to drive in Singapore as they cannot use the foreign issued one), a transcript of their studies is required if they were an overseas student, or income tax documents if they were working abroad
- PR's should produce their entry permit
- The processing fee (50 Singapore Dollars at the time of writing) payable with Cashcard or NETS.
- Passport photo, white background
If your home licence was issued less than one year ago, you must display a P-plate, just like new Singapore licence holders.
Need advice? Got a question? Go to our Singapore Forum
Key articles about Singapore
Latest Singapore Forum Topics:
[CaRP] Can't open cache file.
- Advice on serviced apartments in Singapore? (The Sail, 1 North Bridge, etc.)
- Singapore relocation advise needed please!!
- Higher Salary Bar For Foreigners Seeking Family Visas
- Question from a new move-in to Singapore
- Good Gym to recommend near International Plaza?
- Opening a bank account in Singapore to transfer money into from Europe
- Mobile Phone service in Singapore
- Finding primary school in Singapore
- Bedroom Bar
- Is Singapore the best place in the world to be an expat?