Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Prostitution in Vietnam - Does it Exist?

57 posts in this topic

Posted

Prostitution is universal but as said before, in Singapore, the Vietnamese are taking over and chasing away their Thai and Fillipina sisters.
And prostitition in Singapore, and quite a few other places, includes KTV lounges.

Posted

Funny enough I havent seen much of it in Vietnam (not obvious least to me) but it was quite funny running into it in KL. :lol:

Posted

Saw quite a bit of it in Vietnam but I have to say, never saw any in Thailand :D

Posted

^Where at??

I know my only experience was walking back to my hotel some lad stop and ask if I want a lady. I laughed and continued back to my hotel to watch Strike Back on Star World. :)

Posted (edited)

I agree with Brit, unless you stick to the backpacker areas, you never really see a great deal of prostitution. There are of course many establishments geared towards the local gentleman. Once again unless you are in the know, you'd not really stumble across these Beer Om places. Even in Nha Trang I didn't come across much blatant prostitution, that being said, I was in bed by 11pm on most nights.

You could be blind mute and still find easily locate those sorts of bars in the larger tourist resorts of Thailand. Edited by BlahBlahBlah

Posted

[quote name='BlahBlahBlah' timestamp='1374327051' post='187795']
I agree with Brit, unless you stick to the backpacker areas, you never really see a great deal of prostitution.
[/quote]

Are you, both of you, joking?
They even call you in your rooms in the hotels in the countryside.
They wait for you in any disco, and worse, in KTV.
I guess, the nationality of the wife/girlfriend you have colour quite a bit the glasse you wear :D

Posted (edited)

What types of "Hotels" are you staying in? ;) I have never been propositioned outside of that backpacker street in Saigon, actually also in a few nightclubs in Saigon.

I'd never be foolish enough to believe that prostitution is not prevalent in Vietnam, it's just not as openly available as it is in the tourist areas of Thailand. Edited by BlahBlahBlah

Posted

Blue - I have no doubt they exist (not naive to believe otherwise), but def not on the streets or in the open. The hostess type establishments it seems all you did was pay to drink with said hostess in Vietnam. I think Beagle mentioned Bars w/numbers but like BBB said its less than obvious unlike some places in the world.

Posted

I don't agree, prostititution is now as available in Vietrnam as it is in Thailand, if not more, but not in 4 stars hotels indeed.
And it is not in Thailand either, in 4 stars hotels.
KTV is actually the main place in Vietnam, you've got plenty of them, however small is the city.
Discos are worse than in Thailand, most girls are up to it.

Besides, why do you think the 4 floors of whores in Singapore, Orchard Towers, are mainly with Vietnamese girls now?
Do you think they learned their trade in Singapore?

Posted

I guess having a wife and children in tow is certainly impeding on my clubbing and Karaoke nights. As i said, i never saw anything in Nha Trang (which surprised me) when I was there, but then again we didn't head to any clubs or feel the need to sing a bit of karaoke. A friend of mine did get robbed twice in 24 hours by hookers in Nha Trang - The funny thing was, he was not even partking in the company of the girls.

Posted

[quote name='BlahBlahBlah' timestamp='1374328161' post='187801']
I guess having a wife and children in tow is certainly impeding on my clubbing and Karaoke nights.
[/quote]

My point exactly :D

Posted

Well I havent been to many discos apart from 2 in Saigon.

Crystals - again you had hostess type birds who just hang out and you paid them to drink with you. There was some creepy Viet lad kept buying me shots. (no idea what his intention was)

Apocolypse Now - I thought it was same as Bitch Club in KL, but it was jammed back with people. Quite a few birds but they certainly werent approaching lads which didnt seem normal if it was a freelance place. The only thing I encountered there was an angry Nigerian lad who threw a lager in my face and I almost beat the crap out of. :angry:

I figured maybe Men's Spa was the place for that sort of thing.

Blue - do you recall any names of places?

Posted

Nope, there are some Vietnamese girls posting here I do not want to upset. :D
And really, I sometimes wonder whether you're joking or not Brit :unsure:

Posted

Well Blue I am sure they would be just as curious since this is only a fact finding mission. :w00t:

Posted

Last 2 places I went was a big disco in Hanoi, a very big one, nothing comparable to Apocalyse Now, the place where every goes these days.
I do not remember the name unfortunately but I'm sure our Vietnamese friends can tell us.
And it was similar to Orchard Towers, I think they learn there.
I also went to very small one, very late in the night, I think Bamboo bar, won't comment about this one :D

Posted

I will tell you more after I visit Saigon next month.

Posted

Miss Iron is with you so I doubt we will learn much. :lol:

Posted

Right, could say the same about Brit, I think :D

Posted

True - even if alone I prob wouldn't learn much. It seems like too much work or hassle. :lol:

Posted (edited)

There is lots of prostitution in VN, it's just more discreet than in other S.E. Asian nations.

If you walk into the wrong (or right depending on what you are looking for) bar, you will know immediately. At least 1/2 of the girls you would have seen in Apocalypse would have been on the game. There are girly bars mixed in with the standard downtown places. There are obvious (girls standing in the doorway) and not so obvious hairdressers.
There are 50 shades of Karaoke along with beer restaurants. You get streets with with walkers in every district. The backpacker area is full of girls in the evening. There are especially seedy brothels that cater to locals (I'm not sure you could call them brothels as they are just houses with nothing inside but girls). There are chat rooms, forums and websites set up to hook up clients with their prospective hostesses (and hosts). Even the 5-star hotels will hook you up with girls.

It wasn't until after about 2 years living here that I saw any of this stuff and I still hear crazy stories every now and then. Most people, and a lot of Vietnamese, don't notice.

All the above is the cleaner side of the business, if you look into it there is some especially god awful s### that goes on. Edited by englishmaninhcm

Posted

I do not doubt that at all.

Posted

My "record" is seven approaches, all declined, by different motorbike drivers with the obligatory young girl on pillion in the 3 hundred metres between my hotel, and the apartment of my GF in Nha Trang. This was at 2.00am in the morning.
Reading online newspaper Thanhniennews, they regularly report on the different attempts to combat the rising prostitution rate in Vietnam, it is definitely available should you wish to partake.
There seems to be a double standard when discussing this with local viet friends. There is a distinction between someone who is in normal employment, but earns extra money by staying with a foreigner for a week or two, and a "taxi girl" who earns a living from prostitution.

Posted

Well Apocolypse Now was what I was told - quite funny I was ordered to go in there alone and be observed. To our party's disappointment I wasnt attacked/manhandled. It was amusing because they were convinced it would happen. Plenty of lads seemingly hitting on ladies and being rebuffed was all that I saw. :rofl2:

Posted

Too be honest, I haven't been there in a very very long time so it may very well have changed. I know that regular girls are going more and more as I had a student tell me how here and her office friends wanted to see what a nightclub was like and they went to Apocalypse. I can't imagine why they thought you'd be attacked/manhandled.

VN obviously has a pretty large sex industry, but it isn't one that is in your face like Thailand or the Philippines.

Posted

I really don't think Thailand's sex industry is 'in your face'. If you walk down Soi Cowboy, yes, it's in your face. I would expect that also from the Reeperbahn or De Wallen, but I woudn't say the sex industry is in your face in Germany or the Netherlands, would you?

[quote name='Bluecat' timestamp='1374327966' post='187800']
prostititution is now as available in Vietrnam as it is in Thailand, if not more, but not in 4 stars hotels indeed.
And it is not in Thailand either, in 4 stars hotels.
[/quote]

It's amazing isn't it, how many searches we seen in the feed from people looking for information about happy endings in an upmarket hotel massage. Male tourists tend to have unrealistic expectations from women they meet in Thailand, on the street or in their hotel. It's embarrasing actually, when you witness it... and on an unrelated note, regular tourists tend to come to Thailand with unrealistic expectations as to how far their holiday money will go (especially in recent years).

Regarding Vietnam, I'll never forget a girl that approached me on the street in downtown Saigon. She was wearing that classic look that works so well for me i.e. cute Vietnamese woman in pedal pushers and perched on dainty slip on high heels. I wasn't buying, but the point is, it's no less available than anywhere else.

Posted

Good point. It all depends on the areas you go to. But, where you do see it, it is in your face. That's all I meant. I wasn't trying to say that prostitution in Thailand/Cambodia/The Philippines is any more or any less prevalent than in other countries. Just that it is easier to see.

For example, I remember going down the main street in Koh Samui (12 years ago) and being grabbed by girls from the bars there. They were on the same strip as all the other bars. You don't see that happening here.

Posted

KL's 'Bitch' Club was the most in your face experience I've had in a very long time, you had to shake them off, an absolute meat market.

Posted

Shake them off? I think pry them off is a better word for the bitch club. Haha reminded me of some old days in Thailand - we are walking along and some bird grabs you and wont let go. I remember on one occasion in Bangkok I walked 2 blocks before lady finally gave up and let go.

Saigon - like I said its not as obvious. I am sure it's there like every major city but to put your finger on a generalized area seems quite difficult.

Posted

In Asia, including China and Vietnam, hypocrisy is the rule regarding prostitution.
It is available everywhere but it does not exist anywhere.

Posted

[quote name='britmaveric' timestamp='1374327737' post='187799']
Blue - I have no doubt they exist (not naive to believe otherwise), but def not on the streets or in the open. The hostess type establishments it seems all you did was pay to drink with said hostess in Vietnam. I think Beagle mentioned Bars w/numbers but like BBB said its less than obvious unlike some places in the world.
[/quote]

I have had calls at 2 in the morning asking if I wanted "massa". If you walk around certain places (Opera house HCMC, Hoan Kiem Lake in Ha Noi, pretty much everywhere in Nha Trang) it will not take long before being propositioned. When I worked in Chau Doc, there was no nightlife but plenty of KTV that were not of the family-friendly type.