Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Will China Invade Afghanistan?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I was listening to the ABC Radio (Australia) evening current affairs programme "PM" on my way home last night. It featured an interview with someone named Loretta NAPOLEONI. A fuller interview is on the ABC website, and I'll check it out later, but a couple of things struck me:

She has written a book called "Maonomics" and her general opinion is that the CCP are much better at being capitalists than the West. That could stand up to some scrutiny.

The second thing that was the main point of the above-mentioned interview was that the mob producing all the heroin in Afghanistan are doing all the "value adding" to the raw poppy juice themselves, cutting out all the intermediaries required to get the stuff into Europe and dealing it directly into Pakistan and Iran. And are looking to the 1500 million people in China as their next market.

This, of course, has the PRC very toey, and Napoleoni's thesis is that China will be only too keen to invade Afghanistan in order to "protect" itself and its people. The Opium Wars of the mid-19th Century are recent history to the Chinese and they definitely do not want a repeat of same in the 21st.

I need to put aside some time to research this further, but if any learned OE alumnus has heard or read more, I'd be interested in reading it here.

Posted

What about the opium produced in Burma, the golden triangle.
Surely they would have invaded these places first if that was their overall goal.

I don't think China will invade anywhere, I think China will just do business quietly to get what they want.
Well at the moment anyway, who can tell what will happen in the distant future.

Posted

Ur......, has she lived in China before? I am not even sure where to start commenting on the statements.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Orient Expat Friends
Meet your global neighbours. . .

• The smoke haze problem in Chiang Rai
      By stumpy · Posted
      The rain has cleared the air so any respiratory problems now ??
    • Americans, guns and their constitution
      By TizMe · Posted
      http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/03/25/1373205/-Australian-comedian-tries-to-make-sense-of-American-gun-laws-nailed-it# Comedian Jim Jeffries tackled one of the most controversial subjects in the U.S. gun control laws.
      Jeffries was once the victim of a home invasion in which he was tied up and beaten with his girlfriend, who was also threatened with rape. You'd think he'd have some cause for carrying a gun, no? Wrong! He brilliantly nails why Americans need to make a case for more gun control: http://youtu.be/C_MFSD_UoEE  
    • The smoke haze problem in Chiang Rai
      By Morlar · Posted
      ​ For the sake of completeness, here's the same shot (give or take a few tens of metres) this afternoon. Lovely! . . .  
    • Moving to Hong Kong with baby
      By mars2012hk · Posted
      Hi Stanley is indeed nice, it is also the second most expensive place to live in HK after the peak. Which size are you looking after and what is your budget? RS
    • Job market (communication industry) and salaries / cost of living in Hong Kong
      By mars2012hk · Posted
      Hi The local market is less and less keen to hire professionals - especially in communications - who are not capable of reading and writing standard Chinese. Classified Post publishes a detailed and pretty accurate salary index every year; you can easily find it on the Internet. HK$350-400k for a couple with a kid is extremely low. For 20k/mo you will get around 400 sq ft. on the island and that's just for the accomodation. International childcare alone will cost you 10-15k per mo on top of that. Overall, the cost of life in Hong Kong is higher than in most European capital cities including London. RS