Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Inheratance law in the Philippines

1 post in this topic

Posted

I got this from another group, but most of it was news to me.

The Global Property Guide looks at inheritance from two angles: taxation, and what inheritance laws apply to foreigners leaving property in Philippines: what restrictions there are and whether making a will is advisable.

INHERITANCE TAX

How high are inheritance taxes in Philippines?

ESTATE TAX

Non-resident foreigners pay estate tax only on property located in the Philippines. The taxable inheritance is arrived at after deducting all expenses, losses, debts, and taxes related to the property (all proportionate to the ratio of the Philippine gross estate to his total estate) as well as the surviving spouse's net share. Estate tax is levied at progressive rates.ESTATE TAX
TAX BASE, PHP (US$) TAX RATE
Up to 200,000 (US$4,469) nil
200,000 - 500,000 (US$11,172) 5% on band over US$4,469
500,000 - 2 million (US$44,687) 8% on band over US$11,172
2 million - 5 million (US$111,717) 11% on band over US$44,687
5 million - P10 million (US$223,434) 15% on band over US$111,717
Over 10 million (US$223,434) 20% on band over US$223,434
Source: Global Property Guide
see: http://www.bir. gov.ph/taxinfo/ tax_estate. htm

Citizens and Resident Foreigners

Citizens and resident foreigners are allowed the following deductions, aside from the expenses and taxes related to the property as well as the surviving spouse's share, before arriving at the taxable estate:
PHP1 Million (US$22,343) standard deduction,
PHP1 Million (US$22,343) for the family home,
PHP200,000 (US$4,469) for funeral expenses, and
PHP500,000 (US$11,172) for medical expenses during one whole year before the testator's death.

INHERITANCE LAW

Thanks to Platon Martinez Flores San Pedro Lea

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Orient Expat Friends
Meet your global neighbours. . .

• Thailand vs Philippines
      By TizMe · Posted
      I was reading today about long term stay in Philippines. If you qualify for a retirement visa, then either country is easy to stay in from a visa point of view. But if you are under retirement age, or your partner is under retirement age and is a foreign national, then long stay tourist visa can be obtained for the Philippines which only requires leaving the country once per year. I don't know what options would be available in Thailand.
    • Thailand vs Philippines
      By JustB · Posted
      For me, Thailand wins hands down for infrastructure/Food (except Korean, PI wins there) But (again IMHO) the beaches/sea are better in the Philippines so it's close, but on balance as a place to live day-2-day, I'd have to choose Thailand. For a lot of non-Expats (by that I mean people not moving there for their job/career) it often comes down to their "Partners" which adds an individual dimension that is impossible for anybody else to comment on, but I'd strongly suggest that, this aside, if you can afford to live in a good place, you'd pick Thailand over the Philippines (& I love PI, Mindanao, Davao City, especially). Obviously Visas are a lot easier in Philippines than Thailand, so by "Can Afford", I'm assuming that the relevant visa would be comfortably covered, if you can't afford to live in Thailand because of the Visa costs then the Philippines or Cambodia might be a better choice.  
    • Where would be the best place to be born?
      By steven98 · Posted
      It doesn't matter at all. You are on a mission, and you have chosen to be on exactly one. Use a gold rule, don't be upset if things goes wrong and make a habbit on constaly expect the best - you should be just fine 
    • Whats a good basic safe runabout motorbike for country Thailand
      By steven98 · Posted
      You can negotiate abit, but not much. Suggest you to check prices in different places first though, to get the best deal. Also be ready that most motorbikes are not insured. As for cars, most of them as well, though you can find the ones with insurance (strongly recommend you that). Safety: always wear a helmet if you use motorbike, always check you mirrors, try not to go when rainy or after heavy rains, NEVER EVER drink and ride, be very carefull in the night time. Also make sure your fuel gauge works fine. Take care!
    • Registering an overseas marriage to protect spouse's assets if you die
      By TizMe · Posted
      It's very important to have a will (or two, like Kam). None of us are getting any younger.