What is an average weekly Thai wage?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I am trying to organise an employee and wondered what an average thai wage would be for a construction worker or a farm worker.

I want to offer a fair wage and wondered if anyone can tell me an average wage, i would really apprceiate it.

Posted

It depends what this person is doing, and for how many hours, there is also a considerable difference between Bangkok, Pattaya etc. or a place somewhere in NorthWest rural area.

I think, many Thai workers in Pattaya (who are NOT sales staff, not educated, just ordinary workers) are earning something between baht 12000,- to baht 18000,- per month, like the young man in a stone shop arranging materials for garden, or the man I know in a furniture shop, who is carrying all materials from truck to the warehouse...most of them for sure not over baht 20.000,-.

Posted

200bht a day

Posted

Probably about right, but the legal minimum wage is set by region and varies from as little as 152 to as much as 206. Of course illegal migrant workers from Burma or Lao will accept less than this.

http://www.boi.go.th/english/how/demographic.asp

Posted

200bht a day

Well, but this is the total minimum wage for an occasional worker somewhere.... salesgirl in a 7/11 paid per hour etc.

A regular Thai worker with a long-term contract for a foreign employer (or for companies serving foreigners) is not doing a good job for such little money.

Posted (edited)

There are far more Thais working at around minimum wages than are close to your figures of "12,000 to 18,000 Baht per month".

Edited by Stocky

Posted

Of course in Thailand the difference between rich and poor is remarkable, but try to find reliable Thai staff for baht 200 per day working for a foreign company in Thailand.

They will work for maybe one or two days, and after that you will notice that most parts of your factory or warehouse will disappear slowly or the branch office will be on fire because workers will demand very directly much more pay.

It is then up to Stocky to call for Thai lawyers to file lawsuits against these Thai workers and calling for the Thai police to investigate why your warehouse is suddenly empty and why all employees disappeared overnight.

It's a big difference between a minimum salary and what usually companies, especially foreign companies are paying to their employees in the Bangkok/Pattaya region.

http://web.nso.go.th/eng/stat/socio/soctab1.htm

AVERAGE MONTHLY INCOME AND EXPENDITURE OF HOUSEHOLD (2001 = 9 years ago) (baht 12.185,-)

http://web.nso.go.th/en/survey/house_seco/socio.htm

This report was presented the result from the Household Socio-Economic Survey 2007 in which the National Statistical Office (NSO) has collected information every month in all provinces and in both municipal and non-municipal areas (January to December 2007). The survey contained important information on social economic aspects of household such as income, expenditures, debt, and income distribution of household. In the 2007 survey, it was found that households in the whole country had income and expenditure averagely 18,660 and 14,500 Baht per month, respectively.

Posted

How many incomes per household? :lol:

Posted

Good question.

The question is indeed, how to measure 'income per household' in Thailand.

Some households do not have any income, like a student living in a city and receiving money from parents living somewhere else.

Some households do not have any income, as the family is operating a small business, never pays any taxes. Nobody knows how much.

Some households are only husband/wife, no children working both in big companies, their income is somehow known.

Some households have public employees in the family, their income is recorded, but what about the income of the other family members?

Etc. etc...

Therefore I think, these statistics are too low, as a large part of the income of many families is never recorded.

Posted

There are far more Thais working at around minimum wages than are close to your figures of "12,000 to 18,000 Baht per month".

Very true. I know very few blue collar even some white collar, workers in Thailand that's making more than 200 - 250 per day.. long day. 8 to 10 hour days. 5000 to 6000 baht a month is pretty common..

Of course in Thailand the difference between rich and poor is remarkable, but try to find reliable Thai staff for baht 200 per day working for a foreign company in Thailand.

They will work for maybe one or two days, and after that you will notice that most parts of your factory or warehouse will disappear slowly or the branch office will be on fire because workers will demand very directly much more pay.

It is then up to Stocky to call for Thai lawyers to file lawsuits against these Thai workers and calling for the Thai police to investigate why your warehouse is suddenly empty and why all employees disappeared overnight.

It's a big difference between a minimum salary and what usually companies, especially foreign companies are paying to their employees in the Bangkok/Pattaya region.

http://web.nso.go.th/eng/stat/socio/soctab1.htm

AVERAGE MONTHLY INCOME AND EXPENDITURE OF HOUSEHOLD (2001 = 9 years ago) (baht 12.185,-)

http://web.nso.go.th/en/survey/house_seco/socio.htm

I know no one in Thailand making this kind of money. Even some lawyers I know in Bangkok don't make this kind of money.. they must mean "Total" house hold income from at least 3 people working. :lol:

Posted

As far as I know a maid working at a private house makes about 6-8000 baht a month, and an educated office worker makes about 12 - 15,000 a month, with a lot of teachers and government salaries falling in that range. Engineers make around 20,000 a month starting (maybe 25, depending on circumstances) and need advanced degrees or a lot of experience to get much past 30,000.

I don't really know about laborer salaries but I would assume they would fall close to the first category, well under 10,000 baht per month.

Posted

I know no one in Thailand making this kind of money. Even some lawyers I know in Bangkok don't make this kind of money.. they must mean "Total" house hold income from at least 3 people working.

If a lawyer in Bangkok cannot make baht 12000,- or so per month, then I ask me what kind of lawyer this might be...

There is a huge gap regarding income low and income high in Thailand depending where you are, how you arrange your life, but these 2 women I know in Bangkok working as a bookkeeper in a small trading company since about 10 years is earning baht 21.000,-, the other one is earning baht 18.000,- working in a telecommunication company.

A chief nurse in a leading position in a hospital in Sri Racha has her big bungalow house and nice car and earns baht 45.000,- to 50.000,-, of course a newcomer, still training is getting only baht 9000,-.

The branch manager of a small shipping line between Rayong and Nagoya, he is Thai and 35 years old, single, is earning 72.000,- baht.

A medical doctor I know personally, a woman working for research in a pharma company told me she is earning at least baht 200.000,- to 250.000,- per month. Her apartment is super deluxe, her vacation is somewhere between Japan and USA and I see no reason why she should not tell me the truth.

About workers - if you are clever, do your own business. The Thai man who made my tiles in my condo works for himself, good work, together with wife and he has 2 children, he told me at least he has baht 40000,- or so for one month. He is always busy, 30 days a month, and many foreigners know him. Depends on yourself somehow, if you are willing to work hard or not, it seems to me. His little own shop, just fixing tiles and nothing else.

Yes, some young men, no much education, working hard here in Pattaya for tiles, furniture etc. for these companies along the Sukhumvit Road earn about 12.000,- to 15.000,- baht.