Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Documents for getting married in Thailand

11 posts in this topic

Posted

hi

i am coming to bangkok in january and i want to get to the british embassy before it closes at 3.15pm. my flight gets in at 12.30, but i want to know how long a taxi will take from the airport to the british embassy in lumpini? i want to save time as i am collecting all the documents i need to get married and want to do it quickly as possible so me and my gf can have as much time together for vacation in vietnam.

if i pick-up my affirmation the next day from the embassy at 9am when it opens, i could then get the translation done next to the embassy, travel to the ministry of affairs and get the Official

Posted

i am coming to bangkok in january and i want to get to the british embassy before it closes at 3.15pm. my flight gets in at 12.30, but i want to know how long a taxi will take from the airport to the british embassy in lumpini?

About 45 minutes, but not longer than an hour if you take the tollway. You come down from the expressway at Ploenchit, turn right into Ploenchit Road and right again into Wireless Road.

Posted

if we decide to marry in an amphur in roiet instead of bangkok is this also possible?

The affirmation is valid for 3 months and can be used at any amphur.

Posted

Be prepared for a possible snag at The Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
They may require you to come back the next day for collection.

Posted

I paid one of the companies that do the translation service to get the MFA certification, they do a same day service, it was a shop near the junction with Pleonchit, I'd avoid the touts buzzing around the embassy.

Posted

thanks for all your help on this matter. i think i will use a same day service at a translation office to secure the MFA certification. I think will get married when i get back from vietnam but will only have a couple of days to register at an amphur before i fly back home. so apart from going to the british embassy, MFA office and going to the amphur to tie the knot, are any other documents i need. also as i won't be taking any smart clothes with me on vacation, just t-shirt, shorts and trainers. What kind of attire should i get married in. maybe could buy a cheap thai shirt and pants. what would you recommend? Also what happens in the amphur office, whats the procedure? is there some short ceremony for getting married?

Posted

What kind of attire should i get married in. maybe could buy a cheap thai shirt and pants. what would you recommend? Also what happens in the amphur office, whats the procedure? is there some short ceremony for getting married

If the senior official of the Amphur is available (when a foreigner is involved, only he can register the marriage), all your paperwork is in order and there is no queue, you'll be in and out in 20 minutes. There is no pomp and ceremony, or any complimentary platter of sliced pineapple to congratulate you... it's just rubber stamping your marriage and issuing you both with a marriage certificate...

See: "http://www.orientexpat.com/thailand/marriage"

You could go in a vest and flip flops I guess... but you're going to meet an Amphur official to be married, make a little effort for goodness sake, even if it's just a crisp new polo shirt.

Posted

seems to me if you are willing to dress like a backpacker on what should be a very special day....you must not have the maturaty to marry in the first place..zip in..zip out...

Posted

Getting married at the Amphur in Hat Yai we had to take a ticket and wait, but it was Valentine's Day. Once our number came up it was all over in a flash.

Posted

I paid one of the companies that do the translation service to get the MFA certification, they do a same day service, it was a shop near the junction with Pleonchit, I'd avoid the touts buzzing around the embassy.

do you remember how much the same day service cost?

If the senior official of the Amphur is available (when a foreigner is involved, only he can register the marriage), all your paperwork is in order and there is no queue, you'll be in and out in 20 minutes. There is no pomp and ceremony, or any complimentary platter of sliced pineapple to congratulate you... it's just rubber stamping your marriage and issuing you both with a marriage certificate...

See:

You could go in a vest and flip flops I guess... but you're going to meet an Amphur official to be married, make a little effort for goodness sake, even if it's just a crisp new polo shirt.

some shiny white nike air trainers, long shorts, oh and a new crisp polo shirt(preferably a fake lacoste from the market) like you advised should do the trick! I'm not one for ceremonies and dressing up, so this suits me down the ground! My girlfriends not bothered either although she is pestering me about buying a ring. I have set a budget of 2500 baht, it might be more but as i not buying one for myself maybe she can have a little extra! i hate wearing rings anyway. I told her no one will notice if you buy a cheap or an expensive ring. So if all is well and good, the marriage should only cost 3000 baht for embassy, 1000 mfi, 10 bob for the amphur and 2500 baht for the ring. thats only 6500 baht, just over

Posted

I can't be sure 800 next day 1200 same day sort of rings a bell, but it was a few years ago now.

That's for both translation and certification.