Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to get a Philippine passport for a child?

3 posts in this topic


Mandrunk was starting a similar thread in the Thai section.


In Philippines the situation is more complicated than in Thailand, I guess.

For example in case of my fostergirl:

1 -

You need the birth certificate, and most children living in the street or somewhere out in poverty do not have that. To get this certificate might be a major challenge, even if the parents are known - these parents often also do not have legal papers.

2 -

You need the passport, and if you know, who is the mother or father, and one parent is willing to sign, and the birth certificate is issued on so-called security paper, this is not a problem. The passport will be issued.

3 -

Finally you need a travel clearance for all minors, who are holding Philippine citizenship, and it MUST be signed by both parents beside guarantees by the foreigner who is taking the child out to overseas.

Even if one parent is travelling with the child, the other parent must sign his/her agreement (affidavit), otherwise the child cannot leave Philippines territory.

This is true, even in case parents are living separated - in Philippines is no legal divorce, even if they are separated since 10 years, as in my case.

Only in case, the child was born by a single mother (illegitimate child), it is the mother, who can sign as solely responsible for travel clearance.

In my case this procedure is impossible (also confirmed by consultation of the authorities in Cebu) and therefore my fostergirl cannot leave the Philippines, until she is 18+.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Perhaps you could detail the situation (family etc) of your foster girl. There must surely be some way around it, even if it meant going to a higher authority for a special court order? It's a long time for her to wait/miss out on opportunity.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


No, there is NO way around it. Time is faster than the courts in the Philippines.

Philippines has rigorous restrictions about its Filipino minor citizens when travelling abroad.

To prevent child trafficking, The Philippines Special Protection of Children Against Child Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act requires unaccompanied minors below 18 years old who are traveling abroad to secure a travel clearance from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).

It's understandable if you know about the situation of children within Philippines in rural villages and in slums around the cities. These children are not supposed to go abroad, as they are on high risk to be misused by criminals.

In any case, Philippine children are travelling abroad without BOTH of their parents, the Philippine government wants exactly to know in advance, where these children will be living overseas and with whom, and who are the parents and why they cannot travel with their children.

To fulfill all requirements is easy for an upper-class Philippine family, when sending their children abroad to visit other families or for studies, as all documents, the sponsor overseas and the parents themselves are available to testify personally either in the Philippine Embassy or with a DSWD office in Philippines. Still a lot of paperwork is required to get the permission.

However almost all of these 2 million Philippine street-children or slum-children cannot present their parents PERSONALLY and their family documents - same my case, such documents and such parents do not exist.



See, many Filipino children do not have any registration when they are born. They never will be out of their own island for all their life anyway. Some children after birth are registered often some months later and only a provisorial note by a local authority will be written - these children do not need more - sometimes, like in my case, the birth was registered by people in the village, not by the mother, not by the father and they did not even know the birthdate. But we know, who is father and mother but they do not care, they did not even go to the village office to register, so what to do? Finally some people in the village, who are not the real parents signed up as father and mother...

Mandrunk Posted Today, 01:58 PM

Perhaps you could detail the situation (family etc) of your foster girl. There must surely be some way around it, even if it meant going to a higher authority for a special court order? It's a long time for her to wait/miss out on opportunity

Philippines is not Thailand. Forget about that. JUDGE-FLORO and his dwarfs come suddenly into my mind. I wonder what happened to him? Never heard anything again from him. Talking too much is dangerous. Maybe his body is already bullet-ridden and RIP.

Yes, I could claim this and that in Philippine courts as you suggest but I am joking. It took us about 6 years to get an official birth certificate for this girl, the most important document should she ever apply in her life for a passport.

It took me about 4 years to bring my girl into a private health insurance cover, as ill children/malnutrition etc. are not accepted. Pay cash or die early - there is no public health care in Philippines.

The only realistic solution is now to continue to visit the Philippines and she has to wait for her overseas trip. She is now already 14 years old. When 18+ she can travel overseas - no restrictions, if she has the birth certificate and she can arrange the passport by herself.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Orient Expat Friends
Meet your global neighbours. . .

  • Posts

    • Frustrated College Student Wants to Travel!
      By Morlar · Posted
      ​I just saw this while checking some forum upgrade issues. This is not really true. Yes, where the law requires it (for example, English teachers) you must produce a verifiable degree, but it is not a de facto requirement for just anyone wishing to work in Thailand. I've been meaning to write up an article on this to complement other pages on this site, such as the Tabien Baan page, and cam's guide to PR, because I've learned a lot about this particular issue in the last year or so. There is a lot of duff information on the internet about work permits, citizenship etc, much of it is just copy/paste, where even the original authors didn't really understand what they were writing about. One thing is for sure, having immediate Thai family makes life much easier and the labour department have a lot of discretionary powers where Thai family is involved. Contrary to popular myth on the internet, there aren't even any minimum income requirements for foreigners (the minimum income requirement is for extension of stay on current visa, not work permit, so if you rely on the cash on deposit for that, there is effectively no minimum income requirement). Regarding people with PR, I'm think (but I'm not sure) that if you hold PR status, you are not even restricted by the list of restricted occupations for foreigners (but I've yet to verify this).
    • Looking for a foreign woman to make friend
      By Duong08 · Posted
      Its no problem to make friends. Both can exchange languages,  help new foreigners, hang out to know about Saigon or Vietnam and enjoy some entertainment activities. 
    • Asian street food
      By Duong08 · Posted
      There are many food street in Saigon.    You can enjoy seafood and beer in Nguyen tri phuong. Happy to take you to there or some small food shop for ...
    • The smoke haze problem in Chiang Rai
      By Morlar · Posted
      I don't think it's meant to be. Whoever profits from the burning, ultimately, the only way to stop the problem is to impose heavy sanctions on those setting the fires. The opium eradication story here is an example of what can be achieved in the north if they set their mind to it, but this is a different problem. It needs heavy enforcement on the ground and in the air, dangling a carrot won't work, it needs a big stick.
    • The smoke haze problem in Chiang Rai
      By Stocky · Posted
      It's hardly a blistering critique of big business! The Nation knows which side its bread is buttered.