Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why would anyone live in Burma?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm just curious. It seems such a messed up country, yet I know there's expats there, so my question is, what draws you to the place?

Posted

Im guessing - money

Posted

The only person I know there went there by accident. He's a member here but rarely logs in... he thought he was going to work for the Burma Oil company in the UK :D

Only other things I can think of are the beaches and the historic sites... and the girls??? Never been there, so can't comment.

Posted

I'll have to take a look one of these days.... hear its quite beautiful.

Posted

When I went there in 1977 or 1978 the place had an old-world colonial charm. People were friendly and many spoke excellent English. No girls that I could find and the only beer I could find was in large hotels. Nice temples, some good food. At the time foreigners were restricted to staying in certain hotels and even to travelling in certain railway carriages. OK for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Posted

When I went there in 1977 or 1978

OK for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
I would guess that even Burma has changed a bit in 30 years. :D

Posted

But for the better? :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Orient Expat Friends
Meet your global neighbours. . .

• Best 3G data operator in Vietnam?
      By Kim Tran · Posted
      Hi Mikki, I may help. But first tell me which device you tend to use 3G with? And what are your needs for 3G service (website surfing; viber/skype communication; watching movies...etc.)? 
    • Speed cameras in Thailand
      By Morlar · Posted
      Did you see the RAC report on how much money the camera at the southern end of the M11 makes, yet has allegedy doubled collisions from people jamming on their brakes to try and avoid having their picture taken? It's all about the money in the UK, it's all about the money in Thailand.
      By BlahBlahBlah · Posted
      A perfectly legal way of extorting money from individuals. 
      By Morlar · Posted
      I almost put this in the 'How Thailand has Changed' topic but I think it's worth it's own thread. I got a speeding fine in the post today, over the 90 kph limit in Pha Yao a week or two ago. The fine is ฿400, paid at the post office. They don't care who was driving and you don't get any penalty points. The car I was using is in my sister in law's name, the owner is reposnsible for paying the fine and if you're late you have problems taxing your car when the time comes. It's worth noting also that there are red light cameras all over Chiang Rai now (and much of Thailand I think) and they do work (although I never go through red lights). My sister in law also got fined (caught on camera) a few months ago. It's too early to say EU style social control comes to Thailand, but it certainly raised an eyebrow.
    • Foreigner, have Lao girlfriend and daughter. Worried about the Lao law.
      By stumpy · Posted
      @brewsterbudgen  I think you will be fine as the cops will be celebrating too.