Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Your Thailand Tourist Police Force Needs You!

7 posts in this topic

Posted

PHUKET: The Tourist Police are hoping to recruit 100 people, including foreigners, to complete a weekend-long course and become volunteer tourist police officers, capable of safeguarding the wellbeing of tourists.

Phuket Tourist Police inspector Pol Maj Bundit Khaosutham told the Gazette that the course would cover topics such as first aid and how to spot con men and others who might prey on tourists.

The course is due to be held at the Royal Paradise Hotel on March 28 and 29.

Maj Bundit said it was hoped representatives of the hotel business and beach vendors would come forward to volunteer, as well as members of the public.

The course could give hoteliers a better understanding of the problems encountered by tourists, while beach vendors are often the first on the scene when there is an emergency affecting tourists, such as another tsunami, he said.

Members of the public could perhaps watch out for criminals preying on tourists and pass information to the police.

Maj Bundit added that he would like to see expatriates join the course and also become volunteer officers.

People wishing to apply to join the course should go to the Phuket Tourist Police Office on the bypass road, and take along two one-inch pictures of themselves.

Posted

[quote name='12Call' date='Mar 27 2005, 01:53 PM']How to spot con men and others who might prey on tourists.

[right][post="9318"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Why do they want to do so?
Tourists should be preyed on.
Or they are not tourists anymore... ;)

Posted

Someone should apply so we cangetto the bottom of the TPV!!! ;)

Posted

[quote name='12Call' date='Mar 27 2005, 01:53 PM']Maj Bundit said it was hoped representatives of the hotel business and beach vendors would come forward to volunteer, as well as members of the public.

People wishing to apply to join the course should go to the Phuket Tourist Police Office on the bypass road, and take along two one-inch pictures of themselves.
[right][post="9318"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Of course it's unlikely that some people who are in trouble with the law will use this as an opportunity to cleanse themselves by informing on others.

Posted

[quote name='lamphun' date='Mar 27 2005, 06:53 PM']Of course it's unlikely that some people who are in trouble with the law will use this as an opportunity to cleanse themselves by informing on others.
[right][post="9347"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Unlikely? I'd say impossible. These people give their best to HELP!
If not chosen, they will go home due lack of work permit and jobs resp. long term visa. ;)

Posted

[quote name='Axel' date='Mar 27 2005, 06:57 PM'][quote name='lamphun' date='Mar 27 2005, 06:53 PM']Of course it's unlikely that some people who are in trouble with the law will use this as an opportunity to cleanse themselves by informing on others.
[right][post="9347"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Unlikely? I'd say impossible. These people give their best to HELP!
If not chosen, they will go home due lack of work permit and jobs resp. long term visa. ;)
[right][post="9350"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

I bow to your greater sense of irony. :(

If it's policed properly and no dubious characters recruited, then maybe it's a good thing. However I have my doubts.

Posted

One of my first experiences of Thailand was a plain clothes cop trying to sell me drugs. This was in the middle of the afternoon while I was walking around the Emerald Budda Temple.

I assume that the foreign volunteers will be trained in police tactics.